Winners Qualify For State Skills-Based Competition
(Walker County, Georgia) – From on-site to online, nearly 400 Northwest Georgia high school standouts took part in the Region 1 District SkillsUSA competition hosted by Georgia Northwestern Technical College (GNTC) in Walker County, Georgia.
More than two dozen areas of competition heated up on January 29 on the Rock Spring, Georgia-based campus of GNTC. “These students are locked in and really hoping to advance,” said GNTC’s SkillsUSA Coordinator, Mike Meyer. “We couldn’t be more proud of the level of competition our schools have prepared these students for in the weeks to come.” GNTC also competes each year in the collegiate level of SkillsUSA on the state, and often times, on the national level.
From Fort Oglethorpe to Cedartown, as well as up into the Blue Ridge Mountains, competitors took part in timed contests involving quality and skill of the highest level. “All across campus students were vying for spots in the state competition,” said Meyer. “From Early Childhood Education to Drafting to Broadcast Production, we’ve got a great list of winners headed to the state competition after today’s events.”
Student qualifiers from across the Peach State will compete on the state level March 17-19. Competitions will be held at Atlanta’s Georgia International Conference Center, Atlanta Technical College, and North Georgia Technical College. Here’s who qualified to compete from Region 1 which comprises most of Northwest Georgia. For most categories, only the top two finishers in a category will move on to the state competition.
1. Azlin Cleveland, Calhoun High School
- Georgia Bronson, Dalton High School
- Timothy Hodge, Heritage High School
- Chase Morgan, Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School
Automotive Refinishing Technology
- Caleb Pledger, Chattooga High School
Automotive Service Technology
- Chase Hasty, Northwest Georgia CCA
- David Crothers, Cherokee High School
Broadcast News Production
- Gilmer High School – Karigan Abercrombie, Matthew Fowler, Echo Stover, and Amanda Wheat.
- North Murray High School – Levi Anderson, Samantha Brown, Christopher Lawson, and Josh North.
- Josh Puckett, Cedartown High School
- Beck Fletcher, Calhoun High School
- Logan Fincher, Cedartown High School
- Jarrod Rollins, Adairsville High School
Collision Repair Technology
- Dalton Yarbrough, Rockmart High School
- Gabe Soto, Gordon Central High School
Computer Maintenance Tech
- Dane Bush, Cass High School
- Kendy Manzano, Adairsville High School
- Alvaro Luna, North Murray High School
Electrical Construction Wiring
- Gabe Smith, Calhoun High School
- Andrew Whitfield, Cedartown High School
- Miriam Madrid, North Murray High School
- Leslie Bell, Cass High School
- Ashley Kissinger, Cherokee High School
- Raven Hogue, LaFayette High School
- Laura-Ashley Tillery, Cedartown High School
- Ashley Campbell, Cherokee High School
- Jacob Engstrom, Gilmer High School
- McKinley Blassingame, Murray County High School
Job Skills Demonstration “A”
- Caitlyn Wynn, Northwest Georgia CCA
- Bryan Tapia, Floyd County CCA
Job Skills Demonstration Open
- Edith Loarca, Cherokee High School
- Nicholas Freelin, Calhoun High School
- Rodrigo Morales-Jiminez, Cedartown High School
- Jackson Tuck, Adairsville High School
Open & Closing Ceremonies
- Bartow County College & Career Academy – Cohen Andrews, Meosha Clopton, Madison Healy, Savannah Healy, Steven James, Felicia Miller, and Hannah Shinall.
- Hannah Raley, Heritage High School
- Emanual Arroyo, Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School
- Hamilton Noggle, Adairsville High School
- J. Middleton, Chattooga High School
- Emanual Pineda, Dalton High School
- Ingrid Brindle, Heritage High School
Early Childhood Education
- Hunter Stillwell, Gilmer High School
- Kaylee Holtzclaw, Murray County High School
- Heritage High School – Matthew Chen, Bryce Crichfield, Ryan Harris, Isaac Leal, and Henry Tollett.
- Dalton High School – Hanna Barry, Romina Mendoza, Elizabeth Ortega, and Mitul Patel.
Team Works Region
- Adairsville High School – Carter Arrington, Jason Burdette, William Kujaneck, John Reed, and Adam Thomas.
- Calhoun High School – Noah Ferguson, James O’Shields, Brett Potts, Shepherd Smith, and Jared Williamson.
Team Works State
(Top 10 statewide performance on region level of competition advance to state)
- Adairsville High School
- Calhoun High School
- Cass High School
- Christian Sawyer, Heritage High School
- Kaleob Flood, Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School
- Chase Manning, Cedartown High School
- Chase Dotson, Chattooga High School
Welding Fabrication (Region Results)
- Murray County High School – Dakoda Bishop, Jordan Flood, Sean Keener, and Justin Lowery.
- Chattooga High School – Tufton Blanks, John Hunter, C.E. Massey, and Jay Williams.
Welding Fabrication (State Results)
Eighth Place in State: Murray County High School
SkillsUSA is a national organization for high school and college students who enroll in courses that teach them how to excel in technical, skilled, and service and health occupations.
For information about Georgia Northwestern Technical College online, visit them at GNTC.edu, as well as on their Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google+, WordPress, and YouTube channels. GNTC is a unit of the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG) and an equal opportunity institute.
Since 1962, Georgia Northwestern Technical College has provided degrees, diplomas, and certificates in business, health, industrial, or public service career paths. This past year, 13,734 people benefited from GNTC’s credit and noncredit programs. With an annual credit enrollment of 7,876 students, GNTC is the largest college in Northwest Georgia. GNTC has an additional enrollment of 5,858 people through adult education, continuing education, business and industry training, and Georgia Quick Start.